, The library contains 150,000 to 200,000[c] printed books in Armenian, as well as European and Oriental languages. In the 12th century, leprosy appeared in Venice as a result of trade with the East. , The monastery has been enlarged significantly through land reclamation four time since the 19th century. It is located south of the main island of Singapore, off the Straits of Singapore and is currently uninhabited. That’s like taking a bus from Far East Plaza to Marina Square. That's it. "Saint Lazarus of the Armenians"; called Saint Lazarus Island in English sources; Armenian: Սուրբ Ղազար, romanized: Surp Ghazar) is a small island in the Venetian Lagoon which has been home to the monastery of the Mekhitarists, an Armenian Catholic congregation, since 1717. It is south of the main island of Singapore, off the Straits of Singapore and is uninhabited.. Etymology. We have created a browser extension.  Irish botanist Edith Blake wrote: "The garden in the centre of the cloisters was gay with flowers, and there was a calm, peaceful air of repose over the whole place. One good thing about being stuck on a small island is the discovery of another smaller island.  William Dean Howells noted in 1866 that "As a seat of learning, San Lazzaro is famed throughout the Armenian world. , The church of San Lazzaro, although renovated several times through centuries, retains the 14th century pointed arch style. ", On September 8, 1717, on the Feast of the Nativity of Mary, the Venetian Senate ceded San Lazzaro to Mkhitar and his companions, who agreed not to rename the island. This is an easy quest to complete.  Among its notable manuscripts are the 9th century Gospel of Queen Mlke (Մլքե թագուհու Ավետարան), the early 11th century Adrianopolis Gospel; the Life of Alexander the Great, an Armenian translation of a 5th-century Greek version by Pseudo-Callistene; the Gospels of Gladzor (dated 1307). To install click the Add extension button. Numerous Armenian religious objects of art from the 16th to 18th centuries are on display.  The islet is rectangular-shaped and covers an area of 3 hectares (7.4 acres). Its ceiling, partially destroyed in the 1975 fire, was painted by Francesco Zugno and depicts Catherine of Alexandria, the four fathers of the Latin Church (Ambrose, Augustine, Jerome, St. Gregory the Great), and fathers of the Armenian Church. In the church, there are frescoes and paintings by Antonio Ermolao Paoletti depicting Saint Peter, Saint Paul, John the Baptist and Saint Stephen. There is a 15th-century water well in the center of the cloister, which is surrounded by trees and shrubs. English Romantic poet Lord Byron visited the island from November 1816 to February 1817. An Armenian island in the foreign waters, Matenadaran holds 11,000 Armenian manuscripts in the strict sense, CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (. Put together, it means 'Island of One Barking Deer and Palms'. ", According to Robert H. Hewsen for nearly a century—until the establishment of the Lazarev Institute in Moscow in 1815—the monastery of San Lazzaro was the only center of intensive Armenian cultural activity that held the heritage of the Armenian people. Between 1947 and 1949, the island was expanded on the southeast and the southwest.  San Lazzaro is usually ranked as the third largest collection of Armenian manuscripts in the world after the Matenadaran in Yerevan, Armenia and the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem.  The exhibition, dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide and curated by Adelina Cüberyan von Furstenberg, won the Golden Lion award in the national participation category. It has since become a tourist destination. , It is unclear when and why it was renamed to Lazarus Island.. A bas-relief in agate from the medieval Armenian capital of Ani and a curtain formerly hang at the monastery of Lim Island on Lake Van are also on display, along with several paintings by Russian-Armenian marine artist Ivan Aivazovsky, including depictions of Mount Ararat and Niagara Falls.  The first meeting of poets Yeghishe Charents and Avetik Isahakyan took place in San Lazzaro in 1924. , The cloister of the monastery consists of a colonnade of 42 columns in the Doric order.  He was reminded of the monastery on the island of Lake Sevan, where he had sought education earlier in his life.  Ethnographer Yervand Lalayan worked at the island for around six months in 1894. The tomb of Mkhitar is located in the front of the altar. Lazarus Island, also known as Pulau Sekijang Pelepah is part of Singapore's cluster of Southern Islands and is connected to St John's island through a causeway. Some 30,000 European books printed before 1800 are kept at the library.  Napoleon signed a decree, dated August 27, 1810, which declared that the congregation may continue to exist as an academy. The church was restored extensively by Mkhitar in 1722, five years after the settlement of Armenian monks. "Texts of most of the Armenian fathers and historians have been printed by the Mechitharists of San Lazaro, Venice, and are readily procurable at their convent.". , Russian-Armenian marine painter Ivan Aivazovsky visited San Lazzaro in 1840. All built in the period of 1735–38 by Mkhitar. The library and the manuscript depository were not affected by the flood and none of the churchmen suffered injuries. , Henrikh Mkhitaryan, an Armenia international football player, married Betty Vardanyan at the monastery of San Lazzaro on June 17, 2019.  The church has a neo-Gothic interior. Settled in the 9th century, it was a leper colony during the Middle Ages, but fell into disuse by the early 18th century. ", Pope Pius VII visited the island on May 9, 1800. [a], The number of monks, students, and other residents at San Lazzaro has fluctuated throughout history. San Lazzaro has been enlarged nearly four times from its original size through land reclamation.  There is also a plaque commemorating Byron's stay.  A Los Angeles Times writer noted in 1998 that San Lazzaro is still a "monastic hub of activity," although at the time the monastery housed only 10 seminarians and 10 fathers.  Furthermore, 44 Armenian prayer scrolls (hmayil) are preserved at the repository..  Soviet Armenian composer Aram Khachaturian visited it in 1963, and Soviet Armenian astrophysicist Victor Ambartsumian in 1969. " The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church calls the convent of San Lazzaro and the order of the Mechitarists "especially remarkable" of the religious orders based in Venice.  Beginning in 1800 a periodical journal has been published at the island. The island is one of the best known historic sites of the Armenian diaspora.  Byron is considered the most prominent of all visitors of the island. The St. Gregory altarpiece by Noè Bordignon depicts the saint performing the baptism of the Armenian king Tiridates III. A significant episode in its history is Lord Byron's visit in 1816–17. Besides rose petal, it contains white caster sugar, water, and lemon juice. , Numerous artists have painted the island, including. A sculpture of Pope Gregory XVI by Giuseppe De Fabris, presented to the Mekhitarists by the Pope himself, is also kept at the room. Սուրբ Ղազար [Venice. In 1712 the order received recognition by Pope Clement XI. The monastery is known in Armenian as Մխիթարեան Մայրավանք, M(ə)khitarian Mayravank', which literally translates to the "Mekhitarist Mother Monastery" and in Italian as Monastero Mechitarista.  He acquired enough Armenian to translate passages from Classical Armenian into English. Leone Paolini, a local nobleman, transferred the simple hospital of San Trovaso to the island in 1182. The channel of the boathouse was filled in 1912 and it was moved to the far western corner. It received its name from St. Lazarus, the patron saint of lepers.  U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant and British Prime Minister William Gladstone visited San Lazzaro in 1878 and 1879, respectively.  It was closed down in 1991, however, the Mekhitarists of San Lazzaro continue publication through their publishing house, Casa Editrice Armena. It is attributed to Namenkhet Amun, a priest at the Amon Temple in Karnak, and has been radiocarbon dated to 450–430 BC (late period of ancient Egypt). Lazarus Island, also known as Pulau Sakijang Pelepah, is one of the Southern Islands in Singapore. Numerous important publications, such as the first complete dictionary of the Armenian language (1749–69) and the first modern history of Armenia (1781–86), were made in the island by the monks which made it an early major center of Armenian printing. Oriental and Egyptian publications and artifacts are held in what is called the "Lord Byron Room", because it is where he studied Armenian language and culture during his visit to San Lazzaro.  It is three-naved, supported by 6 red marble columns. San Lazzaro degli Armeni is a small island in the Venetian Lagoon which has been home to the monastery of the Mekhitarists, an Armenian Catholic congregation, since 1717. It was recognized as an academy by Napoleon in 1810 when nearly all monasteries of Venice were abolished.  The church of San Lazzaro was founded in 1348, which is attested by an inscription in Gothic script.  American Protestant missionary Eli Smith noted in 1833 that the convent of San Lazzaro not only did not pursue the "denationalizing system of many of the Romish missions among the oriental churches," but also has done "more than all other Armenians together, to cultivate and enrich the literature of the nation.